Monday, April 25, 2011

...it strikes again

Good Monday morning to you all.  I hope everybody had a nice Easter!  Mine was....not as nice.  Early Sunday morning I woke up with the dreaded food poisoning.  Ugh.  Now to most people, it's no big deal.  Sure it's not fun, but it's not debilitating either.  To me, however, it's the absolute worst thing on earth.  If you've been following me for a while, you know that I am an emetophobe.  And if I or someone in my house is sick like this, I FREAK OUT.  Majorly.  Needless to say I'm taking the day off to recuperate.  I am feeling much better (MUCH better), and oddly enough, I am very calm this morning.  Maybe it's because I'm taking the day off and have no real 'commitments' until this evening.  In any regard, I'm NOT worrying if I'll get sick or if I'll encounter something or someone that will make me sick.  This is a big step for me.  I ate food this morning (ok it was half of a banana and a piece of dry toast... so not really a gourmet meal...) and I feel good.  I did massive amounts of Rescue Remedy, Bioplasma, and a mix of lavender and geranium essential oils last evening.  Does the sense of calm I have this morning come from using all of that last night?  Quite possibly.  I was also EXHAUSTED so I slept pretty well.  That didn't hurt, I'm sure.

I'd like to share a recipe with you for a homemade electrolyte formula (use instead of Pedialyte, Gatorade, etc.- bad chemicals.... bad.)  This formula helps you get back on your feet after being sick, and it's so easy to make.  You might need to have someone run to the store for you to pick up a few normal goods, but we had most of it in the house already.  Source of Recipe.

Ingredients:

1 Qt Warm Water
1/4 t Salt
1/4 t Baking Soda
1 T Sugar
4 T Orange Juice
Ginger Ale (side note:  I like Reed's Natural Ginger Ale)

Mix together all of the ingredients except Ginger Ale
When ready to drink, mix 1 oz of electrolyte solution with 1 oz of Ginger Ale (side note: 1/8 C is an oz, so you should have a total of 1/4 C of liquid)
Give every hour for 10-12 hours
Keep unused portion of electrolyte solution in the fridge, keep Ginger Ale at room temperature

You know, this would be good to drink after a workout or working outside in the summer.   Just a thought!

Make it a great day, everyone!  I know I'm trying!

 

No comments: