Saturday, October 10, 2009

Veggie Shepherd's Pie- YUM!

Good afternoon everyone! As I type, but Bucks are winning 14-10. Take that Badgers!! I swear, every sports announcer has it out for Ohio State. It's always ''blah blah blah complain complain complain those bucks did this wrong coach made a bad call blahblahblahblahblah''. GEEZ!

So anyway, last night I made a FAB-O vegetarian shepherd's pie!!! I got the recipe from my mother-in-law, and adapted it for us veggie types.



Here's my adaptation recipe...

1 sweet potato, scrubbed
1/4 t pepper
1 c frozen meatless crumbles (Quorn or Morning Star)
1/4 red onion, chopped
1 t dried thyme
1/2 t poultry seasoning
dash red pepper flakes
1/4 c tomato sauce
1/2 c water
1/2 bag frozen veggies (I used peas and a mix of carrots, peas, corn, and green beans)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Prick scrubbed sweet potato and cook until tender (I used the microwave... shame on me).
In a skillet on medium high heat, 'cook' meatless crumbles with chopped onion. When hot, stir in water and tomato sauce and simmer for 1 min.
Mix in thyme, poultry seasoning, red pepper flakes, and frozen veggies. Simmer for 4 min.
Scoop out meat of the sweet potato and mash in a bowl. Mix with pepper.
Pour 'meat' mixture into a baking dish and top with mashed sweet potato.
Cook in oven 10 minutes.

It was SO good. Look at the mixture.



It REALLY looks like normal shepherd's pie, and tasted like it too!! Super yum... I'll definitely make it again!

Happy Saturday to you all! T minus a couple days until Miami!

No comments: