Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Happy Birthday!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY bloggies!  It's hard to believe, but today is Annie'sSimpleLife's 1st birthday! WOW time flies!  In celebration, here is the recipe to my all time favorite birthday cake (raw, of course!)

Cake:


3 c Walnuts
2/3 c Coco Powder
1/4 t Sea Salt
1 c Dates


Filling:

3/4 c Raspberries (fresh, or thawed frozen)

Frosting: (yeah... I said frosting! can you believe it?!)

1/3 c Soft Dates
1/4 c Honey or Agave
1/2 Large Avocado
1/3 c Coco Powder


First, blend all of the cake ingredients together in the food processor:





















For my cake, I wanted it round and birthday cake-ish, so I lined a Pyrex Round bowl with plastic wrap for ease of removal.























Divide the cake 'batter' in half, press that half in the bowl, and set the other half aside.























Then, put all of the Frosting ingredients in the food processor and blend until smooth. Sometimes you need to add a little water to get it to the right consistency- just add a little at a time. I'm telling you, this frosting tastes like it came out of a tub from the grocery store. I like to eat the leftovers with a spoon. Actually, when I made this cake, Brenton caught me. He said "uh... you have chocolate all over your face". (HAHA!!) Ok, back to the recipe, sorry! Coat the pressed in cake layer with a thin layer of frosting, and top with the raspberries (I used thawed frozen, so it looks gooooey!)






















Then, press the other layer of set-aside cake on top. Press down really well!






















Carefully, put a plate on top and flip the bowl over. Release the plastic wrap, and, like jello (GROSS) comes out of a jello mold, the cake will kinda... slurp... out. And this is what you'll have!






















Ta-da!!! Then, ice the cake with the rest of the frosting. Devour immediately. Or put it in the fridge and eat it later. Even over the next few days- if it lasts that long.









 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Happy birthday!!!!

2 comments:

Stacey @ adventures of a new vegetarian said...

I have this on the menu for this week from the last time you posted it. Thanks for the recipe.

Annie D. said...

Oh I'm so glad!! It's really REALLY good!