Tuesday, October 20, 2009

BBQ Tempeh Sammies!

Good evening everybody! I tried a new recipe tonight- BBQ Tempeh Sandwiches! These were so quick to make (LITERALLY from pan to plate in 15 min), and super good!! Here's my recipe-

Ingredients:

BBQ Sauce
Equal parts Ketchup, Vinegar, Mustard (I used 1/2 C each)
Salt, Pepper, Brown Sugar to taste

1 Package of Trader Joe's 5 Grain Tempeh

*In a small sauce pan, heat BBQ Sauce on medium, until simmering (a minute or two)
*Cut up tempeh into small pieces, and put into pan. Mix with sauce until covered and cook until hot (this particular tempeh is pre-cooked already)
*Make into a sandwich using whatever bread/roll you'd like (I used Trader Joe's Sprouted Wheat, toasted for a minute or two in the toaster oven), cheese, veggies (I used spinach, but onion, pepper, and tomato would also be good), and BBQ tempeh. Serve immediately.

The verdict? Well, Brenton took the first bite and said "this is... funky" (LMAO!.... great...), so I tried it and it tasted (to me) JUST like sloppy joe's! I'll definitely make them again, well, for me anyway. Brenton doesn't LOVE BBQ sauce to begin with, so that's why he was kind of like 'meh...'. But they were definitely a quick, healthy, and filling meal! We didn't even have fruit after dinner for dessert!

Here's a pic of my sammie before I dove in:



Try it, you'll like it (wink wink)

No comments: