Saturday, October 3, 2009

You bet'chyur bucha!



So here it is- my bottled kombucha. The science experiment was a success, and I'm on to round 2!

My brother-in-law has been brewing his own kombucha tea for over a year now, maybe two years, and he passed one of his kombucha mushrooms on to me so I too could brew my own.

For those of you who are wondering what the heck kombucha is, here is what wikipedia says:

Kombucha is a fermented tea that is imbibed for medicinal purposes, although there is currently no specific scientific information supporting any purported benefits.[1]. However, numerous studies of "pro-biotics" are available. Kombucha is available commercially, but can be made at home by fermenting tea using a visible solid mass of microorganisms called a kombucha culture or mushroom.



There's my mushroom, and round two of my bucha brewing. The little jars on the left is the bottled bucha from the last batch. Generally, I buy my kombucha tea from Bexley Natural Market. My favorites are by GT and Kombucha Bob, but it's great brewing my own now, too! Cheaper, I must say. Each bottle of GT's is in the $3.50 range, but well worth the price.

So what does kombucha taste like? Well, it all depends on how long you 'brew' it. Mine tastes kind of like apple cider vinegar and sweet tea- more bitter than sweet. It's good for my insides and I can really feel a difference when I drink it. When I drink GT's it's almost like a euphoric type feeling. It's really carbonated and almost makes me feel like I have no legs. Ok, yeah, that's kinda weird... but entertaining, no less.

If you haven't tried kombucha before, you should go out and get some! Convert.... convert... come to the bucha dark side... hahahaha.

No comments: