Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Walking... oh the pain

Brenton and I competed in a Walk/Jog/Run 4 Miler to raise money for the symphony that I play in this past weekend.  Thinking that it's hard enough for me to RUN a 5K, which is 3.1 miles, I had the grand idea of doing the Competitive Walking division.  AND after doing Insanity for the last month, I'm in the best shape of my life.  Oh, and there were prizes to be given to the top finishers in each area, and if you know me at ALL, I am queen competition!  Out for blood- I'M WINNING A PRIZE!!  This'll be a piece of (raw) cake, right?!  ...o...m...g

So the buzzer sounds, and we're off.  Brenton and I are at the far right of the group, letting the runners go by.  And then, these 40, 50, 60 year old women ZOOM by me, walking like I've never seen before.  LITTLE DID I KNOW THAT COMPETITIVE WALKING ISN'T WALKING... IT'S A CRIPPLING MESS OF FLYING HIPS AND FLAPPING ARMS.  ...mind you I am HUFFING and PUFFING trying to keep up with thiese people.  Brenton's prancing along with no problem, of course.  Sure, someone that can run a 7 MINUTE MILE WITHOUT STRUGGLE WOULD DO SUCH A THING.  ...oye.... 

Seriously... this is a Summer Olympic Sport.  I DIDN'T KNOW THIS UNTIL I GOT HOME FROM THE RACE. 



It's unreal.   I can't believe how these people do it.  Needless to say that days later I'm STILL SORE.  On an upside, Brenton and I BOTH won 1st place for the CW 20-29 age group!  We both got a free meal at Chipotle and an Itunes gift card.  Then, he got a free 30 min Foot Reflexology session at a local massage place (that I'm using, hehehe), and I got a free pedicure. SO, we DID WIN!!  ...but Brenton made it very clear that he didn't want to do that ever again LOL. 

No comments: