Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Time... Is On My Siiiiide....

Maybe.

What a crazy last couple of weeks.  I swear, busy has become my middle name, and I'm EXAUSTED!!

In college, time management was beaten over my head (almost to the point of being annoying), and for a while, I was a time management expert!  Every hour of my day was planned out, from morning until night.  And then I got sick.  Really sick.  Every year.  I soon realized that I could not plan every hour and try to get as much done in a day as I possibly could, day in and day out.  I needed to make time for myself and let some things go.  I literally got SO stressed that I could feel a charge of electricity running through me, like I was always frazzled.  (very strange feeling... not pleasant).

That said, in order to keep my sanity, I have re-visited my time management days (in moderation...) and have put together a system that works for me.  Hopefully it works for you, too!

1- Before bed, make a to-do list of all that you want to accomplish during the following day.  This clears your mind and helps keep the night time tossing and turning at bay.

2- Prioritize your list, then estimate how long it will take to complete each task.  Assign a certain amount of time to each task and STICK WITH IT!! 

3-  If tasks don't take as much time as you thought they would, use that 'extra time' productively, whether it be for a hobby, something fun, or another small task on your checklist.

4-  If tasks are going to take more time than originally thought, either 1- STOP at the alotted amount of time and deal with it, or 2- REMOVE a task from your list to give yourself time to finish

5-  Don't be too demanding or too hard on yourself.  There is no need to over schedule!!   The less you schedule, the more you'll 'accomplish', and the better you will feel.

This is something that I did today and it helped me to be SO productive, and less stressed!!  Give it a try!

No comments: