Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day to you! Brenton and I had a wonderful, relaxing day today. After a lazy start to the day... waking up at 7:30am is our way of sleeping in!... we heard the smoke alarm chirp. No big deal- we just need to replace the battery. Ok, well, we couldn't get the darn cover off! Brenton broke off a part of it... so we just gave up. Then I wanted to try to get the other smoke alarm open, to see what we were doing wrong, and I broke the same part off of that one. GEEZ. So, we decided to get ready for the day and venture out to Lowe's, and the cemetery. I cut some flowers from our side bed, and we were on our way. Oh Lowe's... my favorite store!!! I could spend all day there. I did pretty well though- we were in and out with 2 smoke alarms in under 20 min! That's a record. Then it was on to the cemetery.

For those of you that don't know, which is most of you, I had an older brother that passed away before I was born. Every Memorial Day, we go to the cemetery to 'visit' the gravestone. Michael was only alive for a few months, and if he hadn't have passed away when he did, I wouldn't have been born. You see, my mom had an appointment to have her 'tubes tied' scheduled for just a day or two after my brother's passing. If he hadn't have passed away the day he did, I wouldn't be here today. It kinda creeps me out to think about it, and makes me very grateful at the same time. It's pretty amazing. How would the world be different if I wasn't here? Have you seen the movie 'The Butterfly Effect'? Very VERY similar concept. If you haven't seen it, go rent it. It really makes you think...

Even though Memorial Day is more about being thankful for the troops that have fought for our freedom, for me, it's also a day to remember ALL of those who have passed. Celebrate your life, and really LIVE it while you can. Like the Dave Matthew's Song says (Pig)-

Oh, isn't it strange
How we move our lives for another day?
Like skipping a beat
What if a great wave should wash us all away?
Just thinking out loud
Don't mean to dwell on this dying thing
But look at my blood
It's alive right now,
And deep and sweet within
Pouring through our veins

Until next time, celebrate your life and really live it to the fullest. Namaste.

No comments: