Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Almond Milk Experiment

Are you ready for this?  Brenton said to me the other day "you know... we don't NEED milk..."  So that got me thinking- should we start getting Almond Milk?  But the pre-packaged stuff has all that junk in it- even the organic kind!  So, how about making my own?  You bet-cha!  It was SO easy.  Seriously!  And if you're wondering about calorie breakdown, each Cup of this recipe is 138 calories.

First, I soaked a cup of almonds overnight in Brita filtered water. (enough to cover)

24 hours later, look how fat they got!!  Then, I watched Angela Stokes-Monarch from the Raw Food World take the outer film off half of the almonds, so I did it too!

Then, I blended the almonds with 6 cups of water (eventually... I only have a personal blender so I had to do small batches at a time).

Once the liquid formed a foam at the top and looked all blended up, I poured it into a strainer (you could use a nut bag or cheesecloth if you have any... I didn't...), and used a spatula to push the pulp to get the liquid out.

Once strained, I poured it into mason jars and put it in the fridge.  This will keep 4-ish days.

SO EASY!  SO GOOD!  You should try it!!  There are variations that you could do-  add dates and vanilla extract for sweetness, add cinnamon and nutmeg for a warming drink... feel free to experiment!!

And now... the directions in pictures!































































































No comments: