Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Happy Birthday! Real Cake!

So we've made it to Wednesday, huh?  What a a BEAUTIFUL day in Central Ohio!   The sun is shining, no clouds in the sky, about 86 degrees for the high- LOVELY! 

Speaking of lovely, my mom's birthday was this weekend!  I decided to try a newb birthday cake recipe!  My version of the recipes is not (gasp) RAW or VEGAN (I know... that's so not like me, right?!), but the original recipe IS vegan.  It all depends on the sweetener you use.

Whole Wheat Applesauce Cake

Ingredients:

1/2 c. oil (I used olive oil, about 1/4 of a cup)


3/4 c. granulated brown sugar (I used 1/2 of a cup of brown sugar and 1/4 cup of honey)

1 c. unsweetened applesauce (I used 1 1/4 cups to make up for the 1/4 cup of oil I left out)

1 tsp. baking soda

1 1/2 c. unsifted whole wheat flour

1 tsp. cinnamon (I also added a dash of vanilla and a dash of apple pie spice)

 
Directions:
 
Pre-heat the oven to 375
 
Grese and flour an 8x8 baking dish.


















Mix together the applesauce, oil, and sugar in a large bowl.  Then add the spices and baking soda and mix well.  Add in the flour and mix until you get a thick batter.  Pour into the baking dish.





















Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.






















Ta-da!!  Before serving, I drizzled a little bit of cinnamon, powdered sugar, vanilla and water glaze to give it a little something extra.





















Blowing out the candles.


















I WOULD SO MAKE THIS CAKE AGAIN.  Next time, I want to try no oil at all and instead use 1 1/2 cups of applesauce.  I bet it would work!
Enjoy your Wednesday!

OH!  Don't forget to check out http://ohsheglows.com/2010/05/25/savoury-oats-return/  for the Shop 4 A Cause II- bid bid bid!!

No comments: