Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Tempeh Chili

Good evening bloggies!! In honor of Cinco de Mayo, I decided to experiment with a tex/mex recipe tonight! Tempeh Chili!! SO GOOD. SO VEGAN. SO NOT REALLY CINCO DE MAYO-ISH. My new camera came in the mail (yay!), so I decided to try some shots. Can you believe that there is a FOOD MODE just for taking food pictures?! A food blogger's dream.

On to the chili!

Very VERY easy recipe-  I just kind of threw things in the pot as I went along.

1 package Tempeh
3 C tomato sauce (jarred)
4 mushrooms (baby bella), chopped
drizzle of olive oil
2 cans beans (I used red kidney and pinto), drained and rinsed
1/2 C frozen peas (Brenton likes peas...)
1 T crushed garlic (jarred)
2 C water (more if needed)
Franks Red Hot Sauce (a lot... as always)
Typical chili spices to taste- Chili Powder, Salt, Pepper, Cumin, Paprika

What a nice picture!  Anyway, all I did to start was chop up the tempeh and throw it in a pan with a drizzle of olive oil, the crushed garlic, a handful of mushrooms, and a number of good shakes of Franks.  I let it brown in the pan a couple of minutes (on medium heat) until it started to crisp a little bit. (I'm still getting used to the camera... sorry blurry shot!)


















Hello action shot!!  Look at that swirl!!  All I did was throw in the rest of the ingredients and stir like crazy.





















Let it simmer a good 10 minutes or so with the lid off so it thickens up a little bit.  Look at the veggies and tempeh in there!  SO HEARTY AND YUMMY!!




















In the bowl it goes!!




















HOLY YUM, BATMAN!  This made 7 servings- we ate 2 of them, have one in the fridge for Brenton's dinner tomorrow night (I'm going to a rummage sale after work- YAY!) and have the rest in mason jars in the freezer.  Such a simple and quick meal to make.  We added up the calories, and it's only 175 calories per bowl of heavenly chili goodness.  NOT TOO BAD!!!

Have a lovely evening, all!  Time for bed!

1 comment:

Ashlei said...

Oooh looks good!