Friday, May 28, 2010

Memorial Weeknd

HAPPY FREAKY FRIDAY AND LONG WEEKEND TO YOU ALL!!!  (dance dance shimmy twiiiiirrrrrllll)  In light of Memorial Day, I wanted to share with you my thoughts on gratitute and what this day means to me, but first, the food!

Yesterday was full of whole-food deliciousness!!

I started the day off right with my favorite YUMMMY oatmeal

















This baby had 1/2 C of Oats, 1 C of Water, a heaping T of Apple Pie spice, and 1/2 C frozen Blueberries.   YUM.  I'd like some oatmeal with my blueberries, please.  ...mmmmMMM


For lunch I had a big salad (LOL did you see that Seinfeld episode?) with guac dressing.


















Guac dressing: 1/2 mashed Avocado, 1 T Vinegar, 1/4 C Water, pinch of Garlic Powder, pinch of Salt


...and a juicy organic apple


















Geepers, look how long my nails are!  They're growing like weeds!!!  mmm Pink Lady apples- my FAVORITE.


Then for dinner I made (up) Chickpea Tacos!





So fast and easy to make (flying by the seat of my pants)! In a pan I combined 3/4 C Chickpeas (leftovers from lunch!), 1 sliced Pepper, 1 small Onion, 1/2 C Frozen Spinach, dash of Tabasco, and Salt and Pepper to taste. I then mashed up an Avocado and spread it on a TJ's Whole Wheat Tortilla and topped it with the Chickpea mixture. OOOOHHHHhhhhhh soooooo nummy. Nom Nom Nom.


So, I wanted to share something about myself that not a whole lot of people know. Back in 1979, my older sister was born, and then in 1981, my older brother was born. My parents, who wanted two children, made the decision to have my mom's tubes tied a few weeks after the birth of my brother, and mande an appointment. A week or two before my mom's appointment (if even that long), my brother passed away of heart trouble. She decided to cancel her appointment, and it wasn't until 1984 that I was born. If my bother hadn't have passed away, WHEN he did, I would not be here today, typing to you.

I always seem to forget how much of a gift that LIFE is until Memorial Day rolls around (which is sad, isn't it?). I completely believe that everything happens for a reason, and there is a reason that I AM here. I have been put on this earth to do something, and so have you. What is it? Well, I'm still trying to figure that out. We may never know what our life's PURPOSE is, but as long as we try to make a difference somehow, every day, we're one step closer.

Who are you grateful for? I am grateful for my brother, for our military men and women who fight every day for our freedom, for those who put their lives on the line so that we can stay safe (police, fire fighters, etc.), for my family and those people that are like family to me, for those toxic people that brought me down that are now out of my life, and for every single situation that has shaped me into who I am today. 

Don't get caught up in your BBQ's and pools this weekend. Take time to show appreciation for everything and everyone that has impacted your life, whether it be directly or indirectly. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: